Sonja's Outdoor World

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Rifle Falls Camping Trip

We spent the weekend of May 12-14 camping at Rifle Falls State Park. Friday afternoon I packed up the car and as soon as Troy got home at 3:30 we hit the road. It took us about 3 hours to get to Rifle Falls State Park. I had reserved walk-in campsite #18. We parked in a community lot and they had pull carts waiting for us to dump our stuff into and drag to our site. #18 was a true gem. We couldn't see any other campers from our site and the creek ran right near our site. There was a great spot for our tent in a grassy section and we had a wonderful picnic table and fire ring. We pitched camp and took a stroll around the campground and then hit the hay...or actually the Mountain Hardware Sleeping Pad. Annabelle did great in the tent, she slept just like normal, nursed like normal, it all seemed very NORMAL to her!
Saturday we woke up, had an awesome breakfast of egg scramble, bacon, and hot cocoa. Then we took off for a hike up to Rifle Falls and to explore Rifle Caves. The falls were awesome and the caves were cool...literally. We had a great hike that ended with a nice stroll along the stream that had just tumbled over the caves. We had lunch in camp and tinkered around during Annabelle's nap. I made Brownies on my new cook-top oven which I LOVE!!! After Annie woke up we let her play in the grass for awhile, then we took another hike up past the falls, and bought some firewood. We then settled in for the evening, made dinner, hung out by the fire, got sleepy and eventually headed to bed. Sunday morning we packed up and headed out after another tasty breakfast. All in all it was an awesome, relaxing, fun first camping trip with Annie. She is a born camper and I'm sure we can look forward to many more trips together!
Here are a few pics of the trip.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 PM  

  • Hi! My hubby, our dog and I are planning a camping trip in Colorado. When googling Rifle Falls, your blog came up. I was wondering if you could reccommend any trails or campsites since you're now familiar with the campground/park??? Are the walk-in sites really far??? I was looking at #19 because it seems really private. Anyway, sorry to bother. Yopur little one is a cute! haha Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • Hi! Thanks for commenting! My blog can now be found at www.gosonja.com

    However, here's an answer of sorts. The campsites that were the best are the last 3-4 (the farthest ones). The best one is the farthest one away from the parking lot, it's huge and very private with the river snaking it's way around. You can fish from your tent (if you are into that).
    Hiking...definitely pick up a map at the entrance station and I remember really enjoying the short hike that goes to the top of the falls. I also enjoyed the short hike past the caves. I had fun exploring them. Troy and I did a longer hike that went past the falls and away from the campground for several miles. It followed the river and was very nice with mixed terrain.

    We had such a good trip, I highly recommend the whole area! Hope this helps!

    By Blogger gosonja, at 3:56 PM  

  • Thank you so much for the response! I'm going to take your advice and reserve the site furthest away! I can't wait.

    Thanks, again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home